Tuesday 16 December 2008

Jehovah`s Witness

A friend that I met recently also happens to be a Jehovah`s Witness. This throws up more questions almost than I can fit into my head at one time.
My friend believes in her church very deeply and seeks to share that belief with her friends, so our conversations often take a philosophical or religious turn. This has shown up in me a very cynical side when it comes to the nitty gritty of belief.
I bombard her with questions about the nature of her faith and I do that I think in an attempt to make sense of the world. I am always keen to be open minded and see if something has merit but at the same time I seem to have an inbuilt distaste for the deeper side of organised religion.
It seems as if I almost cannot permit myself to believe in something just out of faith - which I take it is the whole point of alot of religions - I have to keep asking these neverending questions so that i never have to commit to a belief path.
Having attended the Mormon church when I was a teenager I see similarities with her church including the monthly magazine they bring out. The Mormons have a similar one.
Yet as with all the other `churches` I have tried in my youth I dinstinctly feel uneasy about blind belief.
That isn`t to say I don`t read the bible, because I do and I find its advice at times very useful indeed, however that is a choice and I feel that committing to much more than that in one of these `religions` is not right for me.

http://www.watchtower.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment